Chrystal Tilney, in her booklet about the church of St Andrew-in-the-Vale states that there has been a place of Christian worship on the site of the church since Norman times. As with many churches St Andrews is made up of extensions and additions. The 13th century building started with a nave and a chancel. In the late 15th or early 16th century the nave was remodelled and the church extended with ‘an arcade of five slender arches’ (Tilney, 1980). A north aisle was constructed beyond this, originally with 4 windows consisting of 3 panes of glass. One of these was subsequently blocked and the others remodelled.
The last parts to be added were the tower and porch in the early 16th century. The tower has two stages and battlements with the second stage containing 5 bells. The tenor bell has the name of the Rector, Nathaniel Wells.
The stone pulpit replaces the pulpit from which Charles Wesley preached when he visited the church in 1740. It was installed in 1835. The bowl of the font is Norman and was carved in Sutton stone which came from the quarries near Ogmore-by-Sea.
The old Bier House that once contained the wooden platform/cart for transporting coffins now houses the disabled toilet